Wilderness Training Center
Classes include: horse and mule trail riding ~ mule packing ~ wilderness skills ~ stock management ~ food preparations and cooking ~ and backcountry ethics.
When the Wilderness Act of 1964 was passed into law by Congress, its intent was to preserve an enduring Wilderness for future generations. Essentially, a place set aside to preserve the natural character of a special landscape, not significantly altered by man, so that future generations can experience a wild and natural environment.
Wilderness was specifically designated to keep mechanized use limited to emergencies only. The only ways to access Wilderness is on foot, by horseback or floating. Using Stock in Backcountry and Wilderness requires specific skills. Our goal is to provide them to you.
BMWO Wilderness Training Center focuses only on “Equestrian” horse and mule use in the wilderness. Our “Hands On” classes are designed to build your confidence and teach horse owners, or future horse owners, how to trail ride, pack mules, safely camp, recreate responsibly in Wilderness and care for stock while in the remote backcountry or Wilderness areas.
- Learn to trail ride on mountain trails.
- Learn the basics of packing mules and horses for extended backcountry trips.
- Learn all aspects of camping, including food planning & menu’s, food packing, food storage in bear country and backcountry cooking.
- Learn responsible methods to minimize your impacts and protect the resource.
- Learn backcountry stock management including; feeding, highlining, hobbling, and vet care.
- Learn trail clearing and hazards using primitive tools, i.e., crosscut saw, Pulaski, saddle saws, axes, etc.
- Learn safety for yourself and stock.
WHO BENEFITS FROM THIS TRAINING?
- Anyone who has a desire to take livestock into the backcountry and wants to build their personal confidence and skill levels.
- Anyone who wants to be a responsible backcountry user with stock.
- Anyone who wants to learn how to plan, prepare and cook backcountry meals.
- Aspiring Outfitters and Guides who need to develop these skills.
- Anyone wanting to learn more about Wilderness.
2022 Scheduled Classes
June 6 – 10
8 Wilderness Packing Skills and Light on the Land Principles for Stock Use Education
June 27 – July 1
PSCI 360: Wilderness Politics and Packing & PSCI X 360: Wilderness Pack Trip ~ obtain up to 5 college credits (3 credits for PSCI 360, 2 credits for PSCI X 360)
Exclusive Training Classes
8 Military ~ Mule Packing and Stock Use
Call (406) 321-0984 For Details or to Schedule
Click the link to view an interesting article: